[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] CentOS Project joins forces with Red Hat

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Jan 17 19:53:40 UTC 2014

On 01/17/2014 10:15 AM, IonPacepa wrote:
> "Essentially Red Hat is slowly taking over and developing/assisting
> Centos to be a more regular and structure organisation. The fact that
> Red Hat now owns the Centos brand worries me but that's life. Absolutely
> nothing remains static."
>
> Interesting how a _community_ "Brand" can be bought.
>
> Seems that we get magical binaries for free but no insight into the build
> process or timelines to said creation.
>
> Surely this was done to keep OEL at bay, but we are still caught in the
> crossfire and the holders of the build secrets are getting $paid$ to keep
> the secret.
>
> This is opensource without useful makefiles. Something Sony and Cisco do.

What the heck are you talking about ... rpmbuild -ba <name>.src.rpm

It builds if you install the proper packages from the CentOS repos.

Using mock and a CentOS Tree can reproduce CentOS just as easily.

We are creating git.centos.org so that everyone can look at and build
any of the packages.

We are creating a variants program so that projects can take CentOS as a
base and create (on our servers) respins of the ISOs and/or repositories
that get branded as CentOS.  They can collaborate, ON OUR SYSTEMS, to
build things for the community to use.

I have no earthly idea what you are talking about ... although, you are
certainly free to use (or not use) CentOS however you choose.

I just wish you would research your fact before you post garbage on the
list.