[CentOS] mail tools preferences?

Always Learning centos at u62.u22.net
Sat Jan 18 01:57:30 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 17:32 -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:

> My problem with Evolution is that it's not a mail tool, it's "a
> personal information management application" (their words).  I don't
> want a calendar and I only barely want an address book; I do want
> something that operates without a server daemon (other than SMTP),
> against a local-disk-only mail store; and I want to be able to access
> that mail store from a command-line MUA.

On my main working machine I have Exim and Evolution.

Local Exim receives incoming mail from the network servers (MTAs, mail
transfer agents). The mail is deposited on the local hard disk.
Evolution uses those files.

Outgoing mail sent by Evolution can go via the local Exim server or
direct to any of the network servers.

In addition, Evolution can also collect POP3.

Never used Evolution's calendar and personal management things. I write
my own applications to store and manipulate data (Apache, MySQL, PHP
etc.).

I can send emails from a web page with a few clicks. It is a lot faster
than using an email client.

Occasionally my C5 version of Evolution can mess-up a mail queue's index
description of the emails in that queue. It only seems to happen with
more than 3,000 emails in the queue. Its easy to drag the contents to
another queue, 'expunge' the Trash, drag the emails back to the original
queue, then carry-on normally.

Other than that, Evolution works well. Its a professional application for office type work.

--
Paul.
England,

   Our systems are exclusively Linux. No Micro$oft Windoze here.