[CentOS] mail tools preferences?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 16:25:49 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 6:36 AM, Always Learning <centos at u62.u22.net> wrote:

>> My daughter is just wrapping up her doctoral thesis and the university
>> she attends uses gmail for their mail system. The changes over the last
>> 12 months have caused her to miss incoming mail as gmail associates
>> incoming mail with other threads, and struggle to manage her account -
>> she is above average intelligence...so go figure, google knows best and
>> they are now so big, you like it, or lump it, or go elsewhere....
>
> The danger to the Internet is Google's unstoppable dominance and lack of
> alternative competition. British Airways uses Google for emails.

I used the internet before Google existed.  It wasn't better then.
And yahoo works equally well as a free mail service.  They even have
their own android app.

> Why not rent a cheap VPS, install Centos (of course) and run a mail
> system for your daughter to use?  Its bound to be better than Google.
> Your daughter's university emails can be automatically forwarded from
> Google to your Centos VPS.

This is the realm for ClearOS, SME, or Nethserver which will have a
reasonable mail system working out of the box instead of the months it
will take someone to get the details right from scratch.   But, no, it
isn't likely to match Google in terms of either reliability or ease of
use - and especially in searchability.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com