[CentOS] mail tools preferences?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 16:39:14 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 7:00 AM, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> Not to mention the privacy concerns--I remember when I first got a smart
> phone, used my main gmail account for it, and suddenly saw that I had
> contacts for anyone that I'd ever sent mail to in my contacts list.

If I've sent something anywhere on the internet, I consider it public.
 Google or not.

> I also dislike it for mailing lists (hence I use my ISP account here),
> because they decided that it was a feature to avoid cluttering your mailbox
> to not show you a message you'd sent to the list.  You can find it in your
> sent directory, but it wont' appear in your inbox. (Unless that's
> changed--I remember checking again about a year ago, and it was still that
> way.)

If you can't remember what you've sent, you can type
From: me
in the search box at the top and it will show what you've sent and
also the threads where you have participated.  That's a feature I use
regularly because you can easily note unread topics because they are
in a bold font.

> Gmail is useful for many things--their spam filtering is excellent, for
> example, but I wouldn't want it to be my only email.  Even for the things I
> use it for, I use it as a pop server, download my mail, filter with
> mailfilter and view with mutt.

Using pop won't track read/unread accurately.   If you are going to do
it that way, why not use imap?  Or do you point your phone at your own
server?

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com