[CentOS] mail tools preferences?

Always Learning centos at u62.u22.net
Sat Jan 18 16:56:41 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-01-18 at 10:25 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:

> I used the internet before Google existed.

Me too; in the good old days of Compuserve etc.; when AOL was in
competition with the Internet and 'AOL' meant something rude 'A... on
line'.

> And yahoo works equally well as a free mail service.

In parts of the world Yahoo mail is technically defective. Just does not
work.

(AL)
> > Why not rent a cheap VPS, install Centos (of course) and run a mail
> > system for your daughter to use?  Its bound to be better than Google.
> > Your daughter's university emails can be automatically forwarded from
> > Google to your Centos VPS.
>
> This is the realm for ClearOS, SME, or Nethserver which will have a
> reasonable mail system working out of the box instead of the months it
> will take someone to get the details right from scratch.   But, no, it
> isn't likely to match Google in terms of either reliability or ease of
> use - and especially in searchability.

With no previous experience of Linux and with no hand-holding from
anyone, I switched from Windoze to Centos 5, installed Exim and it
worked straight from 'the box'. No delays, no struggle, no bewilderment,
no problems; Exim just worked like a dream come true. I use Evolution as
the mail client.

No wonder I genuinely adore Centos. There is nothing as good as it.

--
Paul.
England,

   Our systems are exclusively Linux. No Micro$oft Windoze here.