[CentOS] mail tools preferences?

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sat Jan 18 18:01:40 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 10:39:14AM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 7:00 AM, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> >>
> > Not to mention the privacy concerns--I remember when I first got a smart
> > phone, used my main gmail account for it, and suddenly saw that I had
> > contacts for anyone that I'd ever sent mail to in my contacts list.
>
> If I've sent something anywhere on the internet, I consider it public.
>  Google or not.

> > I also dislike it for mailing lists (hence I use my ISP account here),
> > because they decided that it was a feature to avoid cluttering your mailbox
> > to not show you a message you'd sent to the list.  You can find it in your
> > sent directory, but it wont' appear in your inbox. (Unless that's
> > changed--I remember checking again about a year ago, and it was still that
> > way.)
>
> If you can't remember what you've sent, you can type
> From: me
> in the search box at the top and it will show what you've sent and
> also the threads where you have participated.  That's a feature I use
> regularly because you can easily note unread topics because they are
> in a bold font.

Oh, you mean if I use the web interface?  Not relevant for me.  I mean,
that if I send an email to this list, in a little while, it will show up in
my local mailbox for this mailing list.  I almost never use the web
interface.

> > Gmail is useful for many things--their spam filtering is excellent, for
> > example, but I wouldn't want it to be my only email.  Even for the things I
> > use it for, I use it as a pop server, download my mail, filter with
> > mailfilter and view with mutt.
>
> Using pop won't track read/unread accurately.   If you are going to do
> it that way, why not use imap?  Or do you point your phone at your own
> server?

I don't use a phone for email. I think I'm too old--seriously, my eyes need
a larger screen.  Also, the thought of typing an email on a phone is too
much for me.   I'm an old guy, who, though I have a smart phone, finds that
typing on it is too much of a pain to answer an email properly.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6