[CentOS] mail tools preferences?

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Sat Jan 18 22:58:15 UTC 2014

On 01/19/2014 02:00 AM, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 05:10:34PM +1300, Rob Kampen wrote:

>>> Gmail's web interface is very low-maintenance...
>> Have to take exception to this comment - the interface changes at
>> the whim of google and I have to relearn - recently the changes have
>> come with increasing frequency and major impact on how they operate
>> - a quick search shows many folk are unhappy with the direction they
>> are headed.
> Not to mention the privacy concerns--I remember when I first got a smart
> phone, used my main gmail account for it, and suddenly saw that I had
> contacts for anyone that I'd ever sent mail to in my contacts list.
I now have an Android phone after an iPhone.
I have always struggled with the Apple lock-in infrastructure - works
real well if you're using Apple's OS on the PC.
However, I found it worked well for my emails and contact list and
calendar - I found tools that worked with my CentOS server and allowed
me to mirror my contact list and appointments from the iPhone to/from my
CentOS workstation and Thunderbird - truly useful and almost totally
seamless.

Along comes my big new Android phone - not too many problems converting
- imported all my contacts just fine, but somewhere along the way, not
sure when or how, maybe a result of the continual application updates,
my contact list no longer feels like mine.

When I add new contacts or try to edit old ones - I only have google
contacts available - the "people" app and the funambol app have just
faded into the background.

I now have no idea how I can access "all" my contacts and export them
should I want to shift. Also, my integration with Thunderbird is gone -
the app I used is no longer supported for later versions of Thunderbird.

Question for the list:
What level of integration do you have for your contact list?
I need something that makes my workstation and laptop (both CentOS 6.5)
using Thunderbird and IMAP mail servers (mostly CentOS postfix/dovecot +
some gmail) and android phone share all contact info ......

Let's not get started on calendars.