[CentOS] ipmi_si error on booting

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 13:16:23 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 8:21 PM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at alice.it> wrote:

> I'm getting the (unintelligible to me) error message
>   ipmi_si: Could not set up I/O space
>   ERST: Failed to get Error Log Address Range
> when I try to boot any OS on the grub menu
> apart from the one I last installed.
> (Actually, Windows also boots properly.)
>
> I wonder if anyone has had this error message,
> and worked out where it comes from?

You have the IPMI daemon running on boot (which is normally acceptable [on
servers equipped with iLO/BMC hardware] ).

chkconfig --list ipmi

service ipmi status

I'd start by trying to stop and then start the ipmi daemon -- maybe you'll
get additional useful information.

service ipmi stop
service ipmi start

> I googled for it, and it has come up many times;
> but there seem to be several entirely different suggested causes.
>
> I am running CentOS-6.5 on an HP MicroServer.
> I mention that as some of the explanations
> suggest that it only occurs on certain machines.

I am not familiar with that hardware, but I expect it has an integrated
lights out (iLO) card installed in it?
[ On Dell hardware you have a baseboard management controller (BMC) instead
of iLO. ]

> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
> School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //