[CentOS] Repodata filename problem in CentOS-6.5-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso ?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sat Jan 25 13:47:51 UTC 2014

On 01/23/2014 06:23 AM, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> On 1/23/14, John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I did not follow the previous thread but are you putting the iso file on the
>> key or are you extracting the iso content to a folder on the key...?
> USB drive was created using Fedora's LiveUSB Creator which I believe
> extracts the ISO content. However, viewing the original ISO shows the
> filenames are already truncated, so I don't think it would had made a
> difference if the ISO was placed on disk or extracted.

If you want to create an installable version of the 6.5 DVD onto a usb
key, do it like this:

dd if=<path_to_iso>/ of=<device>

so, if I was in the directory that has the iso and if my usb key was
/dev/sdc (note, do not use a partition, but the device name of the key
... this makes the key ONLY a copy of the DVD and all other content is
lost), then  I would use this command:

dd if=CentOS-6.5-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso of=/dev/sdc

Then boot from the usb key.

Obviously there is some issue the extraction process on the filesystem /
os you are using and the loop mount and / or the livecd creator you are
using ... as our ISOs do install and the files are named properly on
them to get them to install.