[CentOS] EPEL problem

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr
Sun Jan 26 02:29:21 UTC 2014

Phil Dobbin wrote:
> On 25/01/14 21:12, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:

>>> Returning to this thread after a considerable break (I'm sorry, I've
>>> really been quite unwell) here is the output of 'rpm -q --filesbypkg
>>> epel-release' & the directory listing itself:
>>>
>>> '$ rpm -q --filesbypkg epel-release
>>> epel-release              /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-EPEL-6
>>> epel-release              /etc/rpm/macros.ghc-srpm
>>> epel-release              /etc/yum.repos.d/epel-testing.repo
>>> epel-release              /etc/yum.repos.d/epel.repo
>>> epel-release              /usr/share/doc/epel-release-6
>>> epel-release              /usr/share/doc/epel-release-6/GPL
>>> [Sat Jan 25 20:45:24 phil at localhost:~ ] $ cd /etc/yum.repos.d/
>>> [Sat Jan 25 20:45:43 phil at localhost:/etc/yum.repos.d ] $ l
>>> ./   CentOS-Base.repo       CentOS-Media.repo  mirrors-rpmforge
>>> mirrors-rpmforge-testing
>>> ../  CentOS-Debuginfo.repo  CentOS-Vault.repo  mirrors-rpmforge-extras
>>> rpmforge.repo'
>>>
>>> It's the same deal with 'yum list epel-*' That also reckons it's installed.
>>>
>>> I'm flummoxed as to how to proceed.
>>
>> try yum reinstall
>
> The problem with that is that it wasn't installed by yum in the first
> place. I used wget to grab it.

that doesn't matter, think of yum as a front-end for rpm that can get
rpm files from configured repos along with their deps. If you just have
an rpm file downloaded with eg wget you can also install it with
yum install <whatever>.rpm

In your case it seems something went wrong installing the rpm, or
someone messed with the files. In any case your rpm database thinks the
package is installed but you don't have the files where they should be,
so you want to remove that rpm and reinstall it. You can do that with
yum reinstall epel-release*.rpm
OR with
rpm -e epel-release
rpm -Uvh epel-release*.rpm (or yum install epel-release*.rpm as
suggested by Ljubomir)

If you still don't have the files after that your rpm is probably
corrupt (you can check with rpm -K *.rpm), DL it again and retry.