[CentOS] Single sign-on for CentOS-6

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Wed Jan 29 06:44:24 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
| Does anyone here use a Samba4 setup for single sign-on for MS_Win
| workstations
| and CentOS-6 boxes?   Does anyone here use it for imap and/or smtp
| authentication?   We are experimenting with replacing our existing
| Microsoft
| domain controllers with Samba4 based controllers and are
| contemplating moving
| all authentication for all our systems, Microsoft and CentOS based,
| over to
| Samba when, or if, this replacement successfully completes.
|
| Does anyone have any references for using CentOS with Samba domain
| controllers
| that they can recommend?  I have found some but the few I have found
| tend to
| be Samba3 specific.
|
| --
| ***          E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel          ***
| James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB at Harte-Lyne.ca
| Harte & Lyne Limited          http://www.harte-lyne.ca
| 9 Brockley Drive              vox: +1 905 561 1241
| Hamilton, Ontario             fax: +1 905 561 0757
| Canada  L8E 3C3

I would have to ask why you're doing such a thing in the first place?  You have a perfectly good working Active Directory setup, that people are already familiar with, I suspect with existing MS clients which integrate fully (and "properly") and you want to replace it with a Samba based setup.  Unless you have a relatively simple setup, I would say don't change.  However, if you are looking to move to something else, then do that.  Why fix to Samba?  Why not go with a full on Kerberos/LDAP environment?

FWIW, we use CentOS 6 with Active Directory Authorization.  Things have worked fine for us for about 1 year.  It took a VERY long time to get setup and working, but it is now.

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices

"I want to inspire people.  I want someone to say "because of you I didn't give up". - Chanda Kaushik