[CentOS] NIS or not?

Jeffrey Hass xaccusa at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 10:11:20 UTC 2014

Almost forgot, //Sorin:

SSL uses public key cryptography:

 1. You (or your browser) has a public/private keypair
 2. The server has a public/private key as well
 3. You generate a symmetric session key
 4. You encrypt with the server's public key and send this encrypted
    session key to the server.
 5. The server decrypts the encrypted session key with its private key.
 6. You and the server begin communicating using the symmetric session
    key (basically because symmetric keys are faster).

Kerberos does not use public key cryptography. It uses a trusted 3rd
party. Here's a sketch:

 1. You both (server and client) prove your identity to a trusted 3rd
    party (via a /secret/).
 2. When you want to use the server, you check and see that the server
    is trustworthy. Meanwhile, the server checks to see that you are
    trustworthy. Now, mutually assured of each others' identity. You can
    communicate with the server.

I'm always nervous about 'trusted third parties..' Can you imagine..
That's what holds our credit cards and such,
like, um, at Target.. the trusted 'third-party...' Damn, people really
go for that??? See, it's a hard call, isn't it??

// weigh it all out... //  and make sure you get buy in and put the
DISCLAIMERS in your documentation and on the Wiki's because
it will come back to you at some point ..... if it ever goes down...

BEWARE of anything related to Security solutions on the Net -- because
most don't have more than three or four years experience.
Most.

~ later.

j/h