[CentOS] packaging :: why would a x86_64 package depend on i686 packages?

Adrian Sevcenco Adrian.Sevcenco at cern.ch
Thu Jan 30 15:18:45 UTC 2014

On 01/30/2014 03:28 PM, Jason Pyeron wrote:
> [...]

Hi everyone! The question was purely academic (in the sense that i think
that this is wrong but i don't have the experience and knowledge to have
arguments for my opinion).
The package in question is from a particular science-related repo and i
i got an answer that the package is that way because there are potential
users that use i686 software (in the context that that software is only
supported for x86_64 distros..)

So: are there any best-practices rules that say :"do not mix arch in
packages, better split them" ?

Thanks!
Adrian