[CentOS] netcdf

Cliff Pratt enkiduonthenet at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 23:25:35 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 6:00 AM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> dip patel wrote:
> > i had used all the resources as below
> > and when i had all the untar in a directories and then ./configure the
> > netcdf file so it fives x lib developer is missing and some x11 library
> is
> > also missing etc so please help me...
> >

> > netcdf-4.3.1.tar.gz
> >
> > hdf5-1.9.148.tar.gz
> >
> > ncview-2.1.2.tar.gz
> <snip>
> Oh. And where did you get the tarballs? Everyone, I think, has been
> assuming you did a yum install of the packages. Installing from a tarball
> can, sometimes, be... "interesting", because a) some of them are written
> and built on someone's system that is NOT standard, or, more frequently,
> built on some other distro, like current fedora, or worse, ubuntu, and so
> some libraries required are *MUCH newer than are standard on an enterprise
> o/s, which doesn't put newer ones in until they're no longer half-baked.
> <g>
>
> Is there something that the versions from the tarballs provide that the
> ones from the standard repos (base, epel, rpmfusion) don't provide?
>
> From what he said he is not allowed to update the system by his 'head'
(presumably he means his boss). I wonder why? That's presumably why he is
trying to install from the tarballs. In later posts he has changed tack and
started talking about installing CentOS, presumably on his own machine
(which makes sense). Les directed him to vmware or virtualbox. Sounds like
a beginner and there might be a language barrier. We've all been there at
one time!

Cheers,

Cliff