[CentOS] OT hardware question

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Jan 31 19:43:06 UTC 2014

On 1/31/2014 7:52 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> With the continuing annoyance from motion, my manager's asked me to go
> looking again for a video surveillance appliance: basically, a
> motion-detecting DVR and cameras. The big thing, of course, is a) price
> (this is a US federal gov't agency, and being civilian, money is*tight*,
> don't give me the libertarian/GOP line about how freely we spend,
> thankyouverymuch), b) it has to be on the network, and c) we need to be
> able to d/l to a server, and rm after we do that... and we want to script
> or cron job that.

I just setup a Ubiquiti AirCam for fun at home.   these are $99 per
outdoor grade camera, use power-over-ethernet so there's JUST a single
cat5 wire to run, and the DVR is a PC running their free AirVIsion
software, so you don't need any expensive box....  you can hook up as
many cameras to AirVIsion as you like, place them on a map or floor
plan, and set the boxes and sensitivity for motion detect on each one.
the one I got is NOT a tilt-pan camera, but they also have a ceiling
cam.    it works pretty good, my dog sets it off all the time, leaving a
trail of 10-15 second mp4 files ;) the motion files are saved in a tree
by year/month/day, and are timestamped TS (transport stream) mpeg-4
h.264 format, playable by most anything that understands .ts, including
VLC.   it can send email or other sorts of alerts on specific events.

they have AirVision packages for Windows, Mac, and various flavors of
Debian/Ubuntu.   the UI is web based and works from a variety of
clients, including android tablets.