[CentOS] Balancing IRQs

Tue Jul 29 10:03:05 UTC 2014
Jatin Davey <jashokda at cisco.com>

On 7/29/2014 12:02 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 7/28/2014 11:16 PM, Jatin Davey wrote:
>> When my application is running on the server i can see only one core
>> being used heavily while the other cores are not being used much. My
>> application has a major workload is collecting data from the eth0
>> interface and then doing a lot of processing with the data in the
>> database. So i can say that the Disk I/O and Network I/O are the major
>> contributors towards the workload.
> to use multiple cores, you need multiple processes or threads in your
> application.
>
> question:   is this processing happening as fast as the network and disk
> can supply data?   an app processing data from a single network
> connection and using a single database connection is not going to
> achieve much concurrency.
>
> btw, centos 5.4 is /way/ old, you're missing 5 years of security and bug
> fixes.  5.10 was released last october.  a simple `yum update` will
> bring all repository packages up to the current fix level.

Thanks John,

I agree to your point that from the application end also we need fork
multiple threads to make use of the multiple cores.
Will also look if we can update the CentOS. Something may not be
possible right away as lot of our production servers are already running
with 5.4 but we will have to chalk out a plan at some stage to upgrade it.

Thanks for your response.

Thanks
Jatin