[CentOS] using Red Hat site for documentation

Thu Jul 31 16:15:47 UTC 2014

On Wed, July 30, 2014 3:16 pm, Maxim Shpakov wrote:
>> So, please, teach me something: how do I build enterprise level server
>> based CentOS 7 which I'll be able to run 1-2 years without reboot (I did
>> apologize already for being ignorant person ;-)
>>

> Oh, Valera, it seems you don't know about this:
>
> http://www.kernelcare.com/try_it/install.php
> http://www.cloudlinux.com/blog/clnews/kernelcare-for-centos-rhel-7.php

Hi Maxim,

Thanks for pointers!

I knew about similar thing: ksplice

http://www.ksplice.com/

for about 7 years or so. I was offered that at discounted price (one of
brilliant programmers at that company is relative of our Center Director).
I decided against that. It is similar thing to why I do not use RedHat
(even though our university maintains license), but use CentOS instead.
More direct solution (i.e. switching servers to system which I do not have
to schedule reboot often; FreeBSD would be one of the choices) was the
decision for servers. But workstations stay CentOS (CentOS 7 from now on).
The system is great for the purpose!

Thanks to everybody for all your input: it is really instructive!

Valeri
Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago