[CentOS] weird apache issue

Tim Dunphy

bluethundr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 21:28:09 UTC 2014

Hey all,

I'm having a little bit of a weird issue on my web host. I was just
wondering if anyone's seen anything like this before.

The problem is that you can't seem to restart apache via the stock init
script that comes with apache:

[root at beta:~] #service httpd restart
Stopping httpd:                                            [FAILED]
Starting httpd: [Mon Mar 03 11:21:14 2014] [warn] module php5_module is
already loaded, skipping
(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80
(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address
0.0.0.0:80<http://0.0.0.0/>
Unable to open logs
                                                           [FAILED]
[root at beta:~] #

IT complains that apache can't restart because apache is already listening.

So what you have to do in this case is kill it like so:

[root at beta:~] #pgrep httpd
12322
22405
22505
22506
22507
22508
22509
22510
22511
22512
[root at beta:~] #

[root at beta:~] #pkill httpd

And repeat as necessary until you can achieve this:

[root at beta:~] #pgrep httpd
[root at beta:~] #

It's a real pain with it being the way it is, because this makes it
impossible for puppet to manage this service. I'm mainly just tired of
seeing errors in the reports about this! :)

So whaddya think? Have you ever seen this problem before and do you know
how to solve this issue?

Thanks,
Tim

--