[CentOS] CentOS 6.5 install

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 23:26:24 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 4:58 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

>> Heh.   If you use gmail's web interface, you don't even care about how
>> someone responds.  It will automatically hide the parts you've already
>> seen, regardless of how they are quoted or whether they are
>> above/below the new parts.  It replaces them with ellipses (...) that
>
> Oh, what a wonderful interface... for folks who have no memory, or care
> where a conversation's been.

I don't think you get it.  It caters exactly to both of those
situations.  The things you have already read are conveniently out of
the way, assuming that you'll remember them and not want to waste the
screen space - yet displayed at a click without a full screen redraw
if you want them.

>Thanks for giving me another reason (I should
> want to search inside an email that's maybe 40 or 60 lines long, to see
> what someone said?) that I *never* want to use it.

No, the search is for other things that might be anywhere in your
mailbox or subfolders. Remember just a few words?  - no problem.
Want messages in threads you have responded to before but might have
missed the last reply back? - easy, and fast.

>> Also, I'm willing to bet that that Outlook Web server that you are
>> ranting about is the decade+ old 2003 version.  The 2010 version is
>> not bad at all (and I say that reluctantly, not being a big MS fan in
>> general).  Sometimes newer is better.  Especially 10 years newer.
>
> Nope, they've upgraded us to 2010 last year. The one good thing is that
> they seem to have gotten rid of the vile ActiveX controls in the calendar,
> and I now can see and turn off the "send reminders every 15 min by
> default" when I've scheduled vacation time w/ my manager in firefox,
> rather than having to go home, and fire up the work WonDoze laptop.....

I find the 2010 version very usable from a Mac/firefox window with no
ActiveX.  I almost never bother firing up a vpn on a laptop to run
outlook at home just for mail-related things.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com