[CentOS] Disk space warning ("gdu-notification-daemon" type) for remote systems

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 15:16:38 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com> wrote:

>>      I think you should build a
>> monitoring system (nagios, xymon, opennms, several others or perhaps
>> your own if you're feeling far too adventurous) instead.  right now
>> all you care about is disk space, but eventually someone will want to
>> also check for certain processes, open ports, logfile entries,
>> something and you could spend the time now to put in the hooks for
>> more advanced things and get people in the habit of checking a
>> monitoring system on a regular basis.
> In general, that might make sense, but please consider the fact that I'm
> not talking about a "general" server system. It's a machine dedicated to
> running a "server" component on one specific software package, and will
> only ever be contacted by a handful of "display" machines running a GUI
> component of the same piece of software.

Then you need to look at the features of the specific GUI and its
transport to the server to see what options it provides for popup
messages.    Personally, I'd still recommend something more general
that would generate email or text message alerts to the right set of
people.  It is fairly rare for 'users' to be interested in fixing
system problems and even if that happens to be the case now for this
particular box it may not always be.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com