[CentOS] KVM and DHCP

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Mar 14 13:16:52 UTC 2014

On Thu, March 13, 2014 16:32, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 3:11 PM, James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca> wrote:
>>
>> In any case, to fix this via virt-manager's __virtual hardware details__
>> interface one must select the __NIC__ and change the settings from <Virtual
>> network default 'NAT'> to <Specify shared device name> and then input the
>> bridge interface name <br0> in the text box that subsequently appears.  One
>> must also change the Device model: from <Hypervisor default> to <virtio>.
>
> I get a dropdown for the source device settings that include the host
> devices, including the bridge br devices.
>
> --
>    Les Mikesell
>      lesmikesell at gmail.com

When creating a new machine under advanced options all I see on the drop down
menu is the following:

* Virtual network default 'NAT' <- selected
* Host eth0 (Not bridged) <- greyed - not selectable
* Host eth1 (Not bridged) <- greyed - not selectable
* Host lo (Not bridged) <- greyed - not selectable
* Host virbr0 (Not bridged) <- greyed - not selectable
* Host vnet0 (Not bridged) <- greyed - not selectable
* Host vnet1 (Not bridged) <- greyed - not selectable
* Host vnet2 (Not bridged) <- greyed - not selectable
* Host vnet0 (Not bridged) <- greyed - not selectable
Specify shared device name <- black - selectable

If I select <Specify shared device name> then, and only then, a text box with
the label 'Bridge name:' appears.

My memory is always suspect but I seem to recall that the defined bridge, br0'
was explicitly listed as an available choice in a previous version of
virt-manager and not obscured in this fashion.  The term <Specify shared
device name> does not, in my mind, equate to the word 'bridge'.  Given the
text box label that appears only when one selects <Specify a shared device
name> evidently indicates that this selection only expects a bridge one
wonders why such a vague phrase is used instead of something like <Specify a
bridge(d) device name>.

Canada  L8E 3C3