[CentOS] Disk space warning ("gdu-notification-daemon" type) for remote systems

Toralf Lund toralf.lund at pgs.com
Mon Mar 17 13:13:39 UTC 2014

On 12/03/14 18:41, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 9:46 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>>> Toralf Lund wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> <snip>
>>> Perhaps a milter to forward a logwatch email (which goes to root) if
>>> there's a line that has on it "Warning. Disk Filling up"?
>> I think logwatch only runs once a day.   If something is being logged
>> you can catch it immediately with swatch.  And you can send a pop-up
>> to an X session with 'send-notify' - with the usual assortment of ways
>> to connect to remote sessions (along with the usual issues of having
>> permission to connect to sessions that aren't yours.).
That's something that we may be able to sort out, so, yes, perhaps this
is an option that might work...

> It does only run once a day. I wasn't sure just how frequently a user
> fills the filesystem, or how much might happen in one day. I am, please
> note, strongly prefer fire prevention to fire-fighting.....
A lot of data may be written every day, but a daily check should still
find the disk close to being full, relatively speaking, if there is a
risk of filling up the disk. As in, one issue on the system in question
is that it has log files that can grow by a few gigabytes every day, but
that's still not a lot compared to the total disk space. (The logs are
subject to rotation, but problems may occur because new logs file are
larger than the ones "rotated out". And we want to keep log data for as
log as we can.)

So, yeah, maybe we can work with logwatch. Looking at an old root
mailbox file, I don't see any "direct" warnings related to disk space,
but I do find a number of lines like

    Warning: Audit daemon is low on disk space for logging: 1 times

Do you expect something in the "Disk Space Begin" ... "Disk Space End"
section, too?

- Toralf