[CentOS] NFS Mount: files owned by nobody

Frank Cox theatre at melvilletheatre.com
Mon Mar 17 22:20:16 UTC 2014

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 15:10:28 -0700
Lists wrote:

> When I try to NFS (v4) mount a directory, the user/group ownership shows
> up as user "nobody" even though /etc/passwd has values for the correct
> user names. How do I get it to mount with the correct user IDs?

Hello Mr. Lists:

Here are my notes that cover this occurrence.

If all users come up as nobody on a nfs mount:

Add nfs server name to the Domain = line in /etc/idmapd.conf on both the server and the clients, i.e. Domain = example.com

/sbin/service rpcidmapd restart
/sbin/service nfslock restart
/sbin/service nfs restart

Also, the complete hostname as specified (example.com) must be in /etc/hosts on the nfs clients as well as the server