[CentOS] Linux malware attack

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Mar 19 17:25:26 UTC 2014

On 03/19/2014 11:22 AM, Steve Clark wrote:
> On 03/19/2014 12:11 PM, SilverTip257 wrote:

>>> http://it.slashdot.org/story/14/03/18/2218237/malware-attack-infected-25000-linuxunix-servers

>>> Look at this PDF:
>>>
>>> http://bit.ly/1qCEQFi
>>>

>> The article I read, linked to a detection toolkit on GitHub.
>> https://github.com/eset/malware-ioc
>>
>> Read this:
>> https://github.com/eset/malware-ioc/blob/master/windigo/README.adoc
>>

> I didn't see anything about how the machines got infected. Did I miss something?

Linked PDF, Section 3.2 has a time line ... the bottom line is, people
got root access via credentials and password logins.

Once they got credentials, they put trojans on and got everyone's
username and passwords.

If you look at page 66 of the PDF, it tells you how to not get infected
... don't allow root logins and don't use passwords.

Don't keep user's sever root passwords in a database, etc.