[CentOS] Does anyone use tcp wrappers (hosts.allow/hosts.deny) anymore?

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Fri Mar 21 16:53:36 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>Larry Martell wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 8:33 AM, James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>
>> wrote:
>>> Yes. For example look how MicroSoft has improved Windows since
>>> XPsp3.;-^)
>>
>> I wouldn't know. I don't use it. I've been programming professionally
>> since 1975 and I've managed to never use Windows.
>
>1980. and I've had to. But I worked long and hard to get into *Nix, and
>with one 1.25 year excursion otherwise, have managed to stay here.

1966, and I have never used anything Microsoft willingly other than their
"Natural" keyboard and wireless mice :-).

>So I *do* object to my toolset being cut down or mangled when it's
>unnecessary. tcp.wrappers, no big deal. Non-plain  text configuration
>files, or crap that invokes crap that invokes crap to do what was formerly
>done by one program that read one simple configuration file, not so
>much....

Remember when SuSE's yast maintained a central configuration file, and
would overwrite manually changed Linux configuration files if one changed
something in the GUI?  So many experienced admins complained that they
finally went back to honoring the manual changes.

Then there's the infamous Windows Registry....

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

I consider trial by jury as the only anchor ever yet imagined by
man, by which a government can be held to the principles of its
constitution. -- Thomas Jefferson in a letter to Thomas Paine, 1789.