[CentOS] Does anyone use tcp wrappers (hosts.allow/hosts.deny) anymore?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 19:13:30 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 3:54 PM, James A. Peltier <jpeltier at sfu.ca> wrote:

> I'd love to hear about the "old and unmaintainable code".  It's open
> source code.  If somethings broken you can fix it right!?! That's the open
> source mantra!  Either provide a set of reasons why it should be removed
> and the alternatives that cover all the use cases of TCP Wrappers or let
> the code, that obviously works remain there undisturbed.  It's an extra
> layer of security that administrators can use to secure their systems and
> it's dead simple to understand!

+1
If it works, it works. Period. It doesn't matter if it was coded by an
ancient civilization carved in stone, or that it hasn't been updated in
centuries.

Perhaps it hasn't been updated in centuries precisely because it work,s so
there's no need to update it!

FC

act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell