[CentOS] biosdevname

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 22:36:55 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 6:28 PM, Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com> wrote:

> On 3/20/2014 10:33, SilverTip257 wrote:
> >
> > And an interface should only be detected as pXpY if it's a PCI NIC.
> > THOUGH I've seen it already where an onboard NIC in a Lenovo desktop was
> > detected as p5p1.
>
> Just because the MAC chip is soldered to the motherboard doesn't mean it
> can't be on the PCI[e] bus.

I'm in agreement on that.
( I just wanted to point out that there are some differences and quirks
[that may not be a bug]. )

I believe biosdevname applies only to Dell hardware, but maybe more
hardware support has been added for other manufacturers.  That particular
Lenovo hardware had an install of the latest Fedora release at the time...

> As far as I know, this new NIC naming scheme doesn't actually make
> distinctions based on whether a card-edge connector is involved.

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //