[CentOS] system setups, was Re: has anybody gotten horde working?

benfell at parts-unknown.org benfell at parts-unknown.org
Tue Mar 25 06:25:20 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 04:47:21AM +0000, Always Learning wrote:

> My good experience is, I believe, very likely to be shared by many
> others around the world.

I think that much depends on what you're seeking to accomplish.

Most distributions, these days, will do an acceptable job of
configuring a system for an end-user at installation. Those of us
who've been around for a few years remember trying to get USB working,
trying to get sound working, having to configure X by hand, and a lot
of other hellish (but for some, immensely educational) experiences.

If, on the other hand, you're trying to throw up a server, things
start getting more difficult. It isn't enough to say that the MTA
configuration was acceptable out of the box, because if you're
actually running your own domains, that simply doesn't come out of the
box.

But at least with a MTA, you can pretty much configure it and forget
it. Web servers always seem to need a bit of tweaking, just because
this is your face to the world, or an important part of your
infrastructure, and this often means experimenting with new
software--like my ill-fated venture into horde.

And none of these configurations are intuitive. Postfix has way too
many moving parts. I've got moderately decent anti-spam defenses up
now and I'm basically hanging on to this configuration by the skin of
my teeth. My apache configuration relies heavily on Include
statements, repeating configurations for IP addresses and ports, and
on my ability to use one domain as a template for another.

I doubt I have any of this stuff properly optimized for my server--and
mysql is its own special case here, where if you keep following some
guidance, you'll exceed the limits of your machine by a couple orders
of magnitude. But in the meantime, you have to not let a system's poor
performance drive you into making the problem worse.

If you've really ventured through all of this stuff, and into
application layers and only had success, more power to you. I've found
a few of my own limits along the way.

--
David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org>
See https://parts-unknown.org/node/2 if you don't understand the