[CentOS] has anybody gotten horde working?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 12:51:58 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 5:52 AM, Leon Fauster
<leonfauster at googlemail.com> wrote:

>> SME isn't exactly an 'other' distribution, and ClearOS wouldn't be if
>> CentOS6 had had a timely release.  They are the same code underneath,
>> just already configured to work as installed and with a few additions.
>

> the point is that it is not CentOS, even RHEL is not CentOS.

No, it actually is mostly CentOS.  Same packages.   ClearOS used
CentOS5 too, and only did their own rebuild after getting tired of
waiting for 6.   SME has a somewhat different installer that can
install on a single disk as a 'broken' raid1, letting you add a mirror
later, which is a nice touch, but the kernel and supporting code is
the same once it is running.  They both are managed in  a very
different way (through a web interface) than a stock system, but
that's the point.  If you want to do what they are set up to do, they
make it much easier to get the same reliable code working.  On the
other hand, if you want something different, you end up having to do
even more work to customize them.

> the "webmail" is a specific scenario, maybe a variant spin of
> CentOS could be the result of a SIG.

I thought when the topic of SIGs for CentOS 7 first came up there was
some input from the SME and ClearOS groups.  Not sure if SME would be
quite the same without their custom installer, but I think ClearOS is
already just extra RPMs on top of a stock system.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com