[CentOS] Is there any benefit to using NetworkManager on a server with a static IP?

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 04:27:32 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 9:05 AM, Christopher Jacoby <cjacoby75 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been banging my head against the wall trying to get a simple two NIC
> bond to work. Got really odd behavior from service network restart, then
> finally decided to disable NetworkManager. Voila! Bonding and the network
> service script starts working just the way I expect.
>
> Does anyone here actually use NetworkManager on anything but a laptop or
> desktop? I can't seem to figure out a reason to use it on a server.

IMO, Network Manager is for desktop users who may connect to the 'Net
in various ways, wired LAN, WiFi, USB data dongles (from Telcom
providers).

With bridging and bonding scenarios, it causes more heartburn than
ease of use. Server installs that I undertake personally, it is turned
OFF.

However, when I have had to service other admin's installation, for
networking issues, I turn OFF the Network Manager.

-- Arun Khan