[CentOS] GLIBC_2.7 not found

Hersh Parikh hershparikh12 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 11:56:12 UTC 2014

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the explanation. yes I do understand that critical patches needs to be applied for any OS. But in this case it is not a stand alone machine, it is a cluster suite and OS was not installed separately. I would have definitely upgraded the system if this was stand alone box. If I remember correctly, long back I was suggested not to upgrade cluster suite due to various reasons. Though I will check on this and see if its upgradable. If it is, I will try it out.

On Thursday, 27 March 2014 5:10 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

On 03/27/2014 04:52 AM, Hersh Parikh wrote:
> Hi Alexnder,
>
> Thanks for the info. I know its quite old but I cant update as its running with cluster suite and its a production unit.  Moreover its not feasible to upgrade as I have hundreds for apps and data lying on the system. Backing all of this not very continent.
>
> Regards
> Hersh

Then let's hope that none of you machines touch the internet in any way.

Staying on any version of CentOS except the latest in a branch is not
safe.  CentOS-5.10 is CentOS-5.4 with just bugfix and security updates.
CentOS-5 is safe, CentOS-5.10 is safe.  CentOS-5.4 is unsafe.  For the
record, there are more than 300 security updates released, dozens of
them rated as Critical after 5.4 in the CentOS-5 tree (currently 5.10).

Critical means remotely exploitable.

Updates within a branch (that is, updates that stay on the CentOS-5
family in this case) SHOULD work and not break things.  Obviously bugs
happen and sometimes things do not work ... that should be the
exception, not the rule.

It is imperative that people install security updates, otherwise it is
not a question of if, but when their machines will be exploited.