[CentOS] vncserver does not start gnome-sessioin automatically

Miranda Hawarden-Ogata hawarden at ifa.hawaii.edu
Sat Mar 29 06:03:07 UTC 2014

On 2014/03/28 18:48, Yawei Guo wrote:
> Hi Miranda,  thank you very much.
>
> But it does not work. I did select KDE in optional packages when I
> installed RHEL 5.8 x86_64. And I did NOT select KDE when I installed RHEL
> 6.1 x86_64. Do you think this is the issue?
>

> Best Regards,
> Yawei

>> On 2014/03/26 21:07, Miranda Hawarden-Ogata wrote:
>>> If you want kde, use "startkde" in the file. For gnome, use
>>> "gnome-session &".
>> Oops, make that "startkde &"

Hi Yawei, it seems unlikely that the presence or lack thereof of kde
would affect the box if you are using gnome. So what did you try, the
"gnome-session &" in the xstartup file?

You can also examine your log file for the vnc session. It should be
named $HOME/.vnc/server:display#, so $HOME/.vnc/mytestbox:1 for example,
and see if there are any error messages there.

Miranda