[CentOS] uefi

George Eleftheriou eleftg at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 09:50:28 UTC 2014

It's risky and a bit complicated. However I've tried it (on a
workstation, not on a laptop) and it worked (CentOS/Win8 dualboot)
fine. Backing up your entire disk to an img file before attempting to
make a dual-boot setup CentOS/Windows on a laptop would be an
excellent first step.

Create a USB image according to the instructions below:
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/Making_Minimal_Boot_Media-UEFI.html

You also have to burn at least the first DVD on a disc, since the USB
installer will later ask you for the source media of the packages to
install. That is, the USB image contains just the necessary things to
boot in UEFI mode, then it needs a DVD to continue the installation
from there.

So in case your laptop does not have a DVD reader, be prepared to use
a portable one (probably with USB connection).

CAUTION! you will need to properly define the /boot/efi partition in
order not to mess things up with your existing Windows installation!
That means you need to find the existing EFI partition and just mount
it as /boot/efi WITHOUT FORMATTING IT !

Good luck