[CentOS] about new Centos SIG distro releases

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Mon Mar 31 14:28:59 UTC 2014

On 03/31/2014 08:49 AM, Phelps, Matt wrote:

<aggressive snipping>

> OK, I'll calm down. Perhaps what you've said could have been communicated
> by the article. This line is what troubled me:
>
> "So what the newly united Red Hat and
> CentOS<http://www.zdnet.com/red-hat-incorporates-free-red-hat-clone-centos-7000024907>
> is
> planning on are multiple CentOS releases."

Keep in mind they get more ad revenue the more clicks they get.

Also, we don't want to dictate when the SIGs do something, so they're
free to set their own schedules and releases.

> How will these "SIGs" be handled? Just additional yum repos? What if I want
> to use parts of the Storage SIG and Virtualization SIG together on the same
> installation?

Yes, they'll be additional repos. What you described is exactly one of
our target use-cases. Using gluster or ceph as backend storage for virt.
Granted, not all SIGs will be inter-operable, but most cases should be
documented.

> Oh, does this mean we'll get a working chrome/chromium past version 31? :)

Chrome/chromium is a completely separate headache because of the deps
and build tools used. If someone wanted to take that up as a
SIG/project, I'd be fine with it. I'd likely also call them a masochist,
but hey.

--
Jim Perrin