[CentOS] Disappearing Network Manager config scripts

Thu May 1 18:37:56 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:
> On 05/01/2014 10:56 AM, Steve Clark wrote:
>> I feel for you then. I guess we have been lucky in the 6 or 7 hardware
>> platforms we have used that the nics ( minimum 3, usually 4 or more )
>> have always stayed the same names in the same order.
> That's actually an illusion.  If the detection pulls it up in a
> different order, then by MAC address it will get put in the old order,
> at least with EL6.  Here's a 'grep' excerpt showing the fun:
> ++++++++++
> Apr 21 14:39:25 www kernel: udev: renamed network interface eth0 to rename2
> Apr 21 14:39:25 www kernel: udev: renamed network interface eth1 to rename3
> Apr 21 14:39:25 www kernel: udev: renamed network interface eth2 to eth0
> Apr 21 14:39:25 www kernel: udev: renamed network interface eth3 to eth1
> Apr 21 14:39:25 www kernel: udev: renamed network interface rename3 to eth3
> Apr 21 14:39:25 www kernel: udev: renamed network interface rename2 to eth2
> ++++++++++

Yes, the names are nailed down after the first run creates the
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules with the MAC addresses for
that box.   But the first detection is more or less random.  If you
pop that disk into a different chassis, if you don't remove that file
you'll get all new names with higher numbers and if you do remove it
you get the same names but random ordering again.   And the ifcfg-eth?
files that also have the MAC address entries will be ignored if the
names and MACs don't match.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com