[CentOS] Centos box and Cisco 3750 VLAN's

Fri May 30 20:13:18 UTC 2014
Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel at gmail.com>

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 3:59 PM, Boris Epstein <borepstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a CentOS box that has a NIC (eth0) on which I defined 4 VLAN's
> (counting the NIC itself): eth0, eth0.1, eth0.2 and eht0.3. Initially the
> Cisco switch was not partitioned into VLAN's which means that the only VLAN
> running on it was the default one (VLAN 1).

      I take eth0 is then an untagged vlan?

> I have then played with VLAN's a bit on the switch and at this point have
> two: VLAN 1 (which is default and can not be deleted) and VLAN 3. The

      Actually you can make the default vlan be someone else. And,
risking going on a tangent, it is a good idea not leaving vlan1 as the
default one in a cisco device. Also, just to be sure, this vlan is
tagged in this trunk port in the cisco side, right?

> CentOS box is plugged into a trunk port on VLAN 3 which by virtue of being
> a trunk should belong to all VLANs. However, this does not seem to work as
> expected.
>
> What I get is the following:
>
> 1) eht0 does not come up at all.
>
> ifup eth0
> Device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization

      How are you bringing them up: network manager or not? Do  dmesg
and the logs show anything interesting?

> 2) eth0.3 comes up fine.
>
> 3) Other VLAN's do not come up. No error messages, just never show up.

      Do the interfaces show up?

> Any insight into this would be most welcome. Primarily, I fail to
> understand why all those VLAN's came up on VLAN 1 and why now even VLAN 1
> does not come up - even though the trunk port the device is plugged into is
> supposed to be a member of all VLAN's.

This is how the vlans I defined one of my centos boxes to know (more
like act like they care) of:

cat /proc/net/vlan/config
VLAN Dev name    | VLAN ID
Name-Type: VLAN_NAME_TYPE_RAW_PLUS_VID_NO_PAD
eth0.10        | 10  | eth0
eth0.2         | 2  | eth0
eth0.3         | 3  | eth0
eth0.4         | 4  | eth0
eth0.8         | 8  | eth0

Not trying to second guess you, but here is what a trunk I defined in
a cisco switch looks like:

!
interface FastEthernet0/2
 description 802.1Q Trunk to vmhost
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk native vlan 2
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-15,1002-1005
 switchport mode trunk
!