[CentOS] Can't get pictures off camera

Sun Nov 9 03:09:59 UTC 2014
Rob Kampen <rkampen at reaching-clients.com>

On 11/09/2014 11:02 AM, Steve Blackwell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to download some pictures off my camera and I keep getting
> an error. This used to work at some point although I can't say when.
>
> The camera is a Cannon EOS and I plug it in to a USB port and turn it
> on and I get a dialog box with a title of "Cannon Digital Camera"
> saying "You have just inserted a medium with digital photos...blah
> blah...".
>
> When I select "open folder" from this drop down list of options
> it eventually gives me this error message:
> "The folder contents could not be displayed. Sorry, could not display
> all the contents of "Cannon Digital Camera": DBus error
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply.
>
> If I select "open digiKam" it appears to do nothing.
>
> If I open digiKam first and try to import using what is detects -
> Cannon EOS 350D (PTP mode) - it never finds anything.
>
> The whole time the camera is flashing busy.
>
> I don't see anything useful in any of the system logs.
>
> Given the error message, I think that something is blocking messages
> from the camera.
>
> I need some help troubleshooting this.
I find CentOS a little out of the game for connecting android devices
like pads / smartphones
Have tried changing/updating the ancient libmtp that ships with CentOS
but caused other issues I could not live with.
A solution that "just works" has been to load the app SSHdroid - this is
launched on the device - it gets an IP address and establishes an SSH
service that one can now connect to from your laptop or linux device.
Transfer of files etc works so much faster than mtp ever did. Try it -
no going back for me.