[CentOS] yum-plugin-security

Sat Nov 22 14:24:05 UTC 2014
Gabriele Pohl <gp at dipohl.de>

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 12:44:57 +0000 (GMT)
Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro> wrote:
> This plugin does not work on CentOS, at least not yet, there were previous discussions. e.g.
> http://centos-devel.1051824.n5.nabble.com/CentOS-devel-yum-plugin-security-and-shellshock-td5710031.html
>
> HTH

yes it helped thanks!

Although the state of the thing itself is not very helpful :(

My intention was to automatically get warned,
when there are pending security updates.
I therefore reworked the "yum" plugin of Munin [1]

But as I see now, this will not work for CentOS
as long as the data (a working updateinfo.xml)
is not existent in the repos..

I will add a note in the Munin yum plugin to
inform other CentOS users about this #fail.

It would be good to add such a hint also in the
CentOS package of the yum-plugin-security.
Until now there is no info about the no-op
nor in the man page neither under /usr/share/doc.

Shall I create a bug report addressing the missing doc?
Or will it get answered with "won't fix" as the fix
would need to fork an own CentOS version of the plugin,
so no longer simply copy the package from upstream (rh)

# rpm -ql yum-plugin-security
/etc/yum/pluginconf.d/security.conf
/usr/lib/yum-plugins/security.py
/usr/lib/yum-plugins/security.pyc
/usr/lib/yum-plugins/security.pyo
/usr/share/doc/yum-plugin-security-1.1.30
/usr/share/doc/yum-plugin-security-1.1.30/COPYING
/usr/share/man/man8/yum-security.8.gz

Cheers,

Gabriele

[1] https://github.com/munin-monitoring/munin/commits/devel/plugins/node.d.linux/yum.in