[CentOS] Systemd Adding Its Own Console To Linux Systems

Fri Oct 10 20:27:22 UTC 2014
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 09:13:13PM +0100, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> It appears to me that much of bashing of systemd is just FUD. One of
> the typical misconceptions is the disable vs. mask for services ---
> despite appearances, the systemd "disable" does *exactly* the same
> thing that SYSV "disable" did. But people simply refuse to understand
> it (or never even bother to learn the details), and keep bashing
> systemd for making the distinction between disabling and masking a
> service.

I don't quite disagree, but: a number of programs in Fedora/RHEL/CentOS
actually use (or possibly abuse) chkconfig to see if a service should be run
from cron or by some other trigger. The systemd implementation is more clean
about being used for "disable starting at boot".

I agree that it ended up being different terminology than I think is most
clear and ideal, but... c'mon, we're sysadmins. If we start listing all of
the things in Linux with that problem we will be here all day. Eventually,
you just learn it, think, "whelp, another one for the that's-a-little-weird
file", and move on.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>