[CentOS] Centos7 Annoyances

Fri Oct 31 22:28:06 UTC 2014
Peter <peter at pajamian.dhs.org>

On 11/01/2014 06:48 AM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 10/31/2014 08:53 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Nobody is_buying_  32 bit machines any more, but machines sold 10
>> years ago were surprisingly robust
>
> They were also surprisingly slow.  Without any hyperbole, you could
> almost certainly replace an entire rack of ten year old 1U servers with
> a single 1U server today for a very reasonable cost and see performance
> that's at least equal, with a fraction of the power draw (and associated
> ongoing costs).

There is an assumption here that someone would only want to use CentOS
on the server.  I have at least two old laptops in my house that I would
love to put CentOS 7 on, giving them decent software and then not having
to worry about upgrading the distro for ten years which gives the OS a
lifespan comparable to a windows version, I can't though, because
they're 32 bit.  This is also a good way to re-purpose an old laptop or
desktop for the underprivileged to use.

Another thing to consider is that there are still people who want to put
a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit VM instance, mainly because VMs tend to have a
lot less RAM than you'd see on bare-metal hardware, and the savings in
RAM usage of a 32 bit app vs 64 bit one can be significant.  These would
still be running on 64 bit hardware but using a 32 bit OS *on purpose*.

Peter