[CentOS] pxebooting

Wed Sep 17 22:05:17 UTC 2014
Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Digging into this, as we rework it, here's a question: assuming the system
> being pxebooted is server 1, and the tftp server is server 2, on server 2,
> in the menu for pxeboot, is there any way to specify that the image to
> boot, and the initrd, are on a server 3? That is,
> MENU repoboot
>  KERNEL repo://my/repo/images/vmlinuz
>  APPEND repo://my/repo/images/initrd.img
>
> (or an IP address, like 192.168.1.13, for the server named repo)?

The gPXE bootloader can fetch files from an arbitrary network host
using TFTP, NFS, HTTP, etc, but the standard syslinux PXE bootloader
cannot.

On CentOS 6, the syslinux-nonlinux package includes both. If you
specify "filename gpxelinux.0" in your DHCP setup, and ensure that the
gpxelinux.0 image is in your tftp root directory, you should be OK.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com
45°38' N, 122°6' W