[CentOS] Centos 7 + SystemD + Predictable Network Interface Names

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Wed Sep 24 15:20:16 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 10:04:39AM -0400, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
> Hi list,
> I'm trying Centos7 and using systemD. I've noticed that interfaces
> name does not have anymore eth0,eth1, ethN but a different name.
>
> What do you think about predictable network if name assigned by systemd?

For what its worth, there was a change in device naming in CentOS 6
(going from eth0 -> em1, for example) which affected a subset of
hardware out there (We saw it on Dell hardware, mostly).  We had
already managed to deal with the fact tha 'eth0' is no longer
guarenteed (in scripts, usually by looking in /sys/class/net/), so
dealing with non-eth0-naming wasn't a huge surprise, however, the way
devices are named changed.  For what it's worth, I am not thrilled
with the incredibly complex names but I understand their utility.

There are a couple of ways to disable it listed here:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/