[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] Release for CentOS Linux 7 (1503 ) on x86_64

Thu Apr 2 19:35:50 UTC 2015
Always Learning <centos at u64.u22.net>

On Thu, 2015-04-02 at 11:08 -0500, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 ...

That is called an arithmetic progression (from my school days)

> B:
>
> 231 2735 2746 3458 5216 ...

does not resemble a geometric progression.

Lets have a LOGICAL numbering system.  How about

	Centos 6.6-1503 ........

derived from {major}{sub}{yymm}.

But what happens when 2 or more revisions occur within the same month ?

Will we have Centos 7.1504 and 7.1504a and 7.1504c or will someone
decide to use 7.1505 (= May 2015) whilst still in April ?

Clarity is important in all things 'computer'.

Valeri

> 1. whereas in case A given you have [sub]version number 4 you definitely
> know that adjacent previous is 3 and adjacent following will be 5. Case B
> is different: unless you have the whole row of legal numbers in front of
> you, you will not be able to guess whether 2746 and 3458 are consecutive
> versions, or there is one or more versions between them.
>
> 2. comparison of two version in case A easily reveals which is earlier and
> which is higher, in case B it is not quite so (you can try to time
> yourself on comparison of random natural number in 10000 range and compare
> that to the case of natural numbers 0-9, you will know what I mean), and
> hence prone to higher chance of error (and don't second guess me: I always
> has A+ in mathematics in school and university ;-). This is just a trivial
> human psychology...

Maths was my favourite school subject too.

--
Regards,

Paul.
England, EU.      Je suis Charlie.