[CentOS] Related to the new laptop question: CentOS on a netbook?

Wed Apr 15 21:46:56 UTC 2015
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 02:52:51PM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 15:55:26 -0400
> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>
> > I've got a netbook, circe 2009. When I got it, not that I was wild about
> > ubuntu, but there was specifically an ubuntu netbook remix. Well, it's a
> > few years later - has anyone put CentOS (6, preferably) on a netbook, and
> > were there any problems?
>
> I have an Acer Aspire One netbook.  I use it every day.
>
> I had Centos 6 on it up until Centos 7 was released.  Now I have Centos 7 on it.

Me too, though before Centos-7 I was running Fedora 19. Everything works,
including the dedicated fn-<some key> functions.

Mine is a dual-core Atom, so it's not quite as painfully slow as many of
the other netbooks.

I've also got an older Asus 901, originally shipped with their version of
Linux. Got tired of that hacked up and crippled linux and started trying
other distros. found that Fedora worked pretty well, back at F10, though
some things required tweaking. There was a guy (no longer recall a name)
who was building custom Fedora kernels specifically with the 901 in mind,
that enabled the extra goodies that didn't quite work right. I ran that,
thru F10-F14, until F15 came out--took a look at Gnome 3.x and had to
run to the toilet to throw up. disgusting. Right now, it is sitting here,
running F20 with MATE desktop, operating a webcam for me.

You don't say which netbook it is... the earliest Asus models came with
severely limited storage. There are people who've managed to put some
relatively modern linux on those, though I don't really know how they
managed to shoehorn that all in. google is your friend.

                       I can do all things through Christ
                              who strengthens me.