[CentOS] reboot - is there a timeout on filesystem flush?

Wed Jan 7 16:43:23 UTC 2015

On Wed, January 7, 2015 10:33 am, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Every regular file's directory entry on your system is a hard link.
>> There's
>> nothing particular about links (files) that make a filesystem fragile.
>
> Agreed, although when there are millions, the fsck fixing it is somewhat
> slow.
>
>>> It is mostly on aging hardware, so it
>>> is possible that there are underlying controller issues.  I also see
>>> some rare cases on similar machines where a filesystem will go
>>> read-only with some scsi errors logged, but didn't look for that yet
>>> in this case.
>>

>> It's probably a similar cause in all cases.  I don't know how many times
>> I've seen you on this list defending running old hardware / obsolete
>> hardware.  Corruption and failure are more or less what I'd expect if
>> your
>> hardware is junk.
>
> Not junk - these are mostly IBM 3550/3650 boxes - pretty much top of
> the line in their day (before the M2/3/4 versions),  They have
> Adaptec raid contollers,

I never had Adaptec in _my_ list of good RAID hardware... But certainly I
can note be the one to offer judgement on hardware I avoid to the best of
my ability. If you can afford, I would do the test: replace Adaptec with
something else (in my list it would be either 3ware or LSI or areca),
leaving the rest of hardware as it is. And see it the problems continue. I
do realize that there is more to it than just pulling one card and
sticking another in its place (that's why I said if you can "afford" it
meaning in more general sense, not just monetary).

Valeri

> SAS drives, mostly configured as RAID1
> mirrors.  I realize that hardware isn't perfect and this is not
> happening on a large percentage of them.   But, I don't see anything
> that looks like scsi errors in this log and I'm surprised that after
> running apparently error-free there would be problems detected after a
> software reboot.
>
> I think the newer M2 and later models went to a different RAID
> controller, though.   Maybe there was a reason.
>
> --
>    Les Mikesell
>       lesmikesell at gmail.com

Valeri Galtsev