[CentOS] ** Newbie - HELP **

Fri Jan 23 13:55:14 UTC 2015
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 6:47 AM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg
<Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr> wrote:

> On 22 January 2015 at 13:22, Darren Williams <D.Williams2 at bradford.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>>

>> The idea of using a VHD(X) was to enable use to use disk imaging tools
>> such as ghost, wds etc to deploy images of this type of system to over 500
>> machines.
>>
>> We have not found an imaging solutions that can image and deploy via
>> multicast a system set up in the standard way you describe.
>

> I haven't tried it but I thought clonezilla SE could do this?

Yes, the clonezilla server with drbl can multicast - or manage several
concurrent clone operations even without multicasting.  However, it
does require all the hardware to be pretty close to identical with the
target disk the same size or larger than the master.    You might be
better off with cobbler or something similar to PXE boot into an
automated install instead of loading a prebuilt image.  It is easy
enough to test clonezilla, though - just boot a clonezilla-live iso
and save/restore to some existing network share or over ssh.  If you
like the results, then set up the multicasting server.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com