[CentOS] How will fragmentation help Red Hat

Thu Jul 13 15:48:24 UTC 2023
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 2023-07-13 03:12, Simon Matter wrote:
> As I found out yesterday, the fragmentation of the "Enterprise Linux"
> ecosystem just started to come true.

I've been trying to figure out what SUSE meant when they announced a
"hard fork" of RHEL.  If they mean to maintain a fork that remains
interface-compatible with RHEL (and a fork that doesn't remain
compatible doesn't make much sense, because the thing that everyone
wants is the benefit of RHEL's integration with other vendors), then
they'll probably periodically branch from Stream, the same way that RHEL
does.

If that happens, and if it's successful, the irony is that through poor
communication, Red Hat might have actually made progress in creating a
*less* fragmented ecosystem of distributions all conforming to a common
ABI, descending from Stream.

> I expect this is only the beginning
> and Red Hat may also start to completely hold back sources of non GPL
> software which is part of the "Enterprise Linux" ecosystem.

I think that's exactly the opposite of the direction that Red Hat is
moving.  CentOS Stream makes the RHEL product more open than it has ever
been -- including making it easier to create real Enterprise-ready
products that compete on level ground with RHEL, in ways that clones
never could.

https://medium.com/@gordon.messmer/in-favor-of-centos-stream-e5a8a43bdcf8