[CentOS] Current RHEL fragmentation landscape

Fri Jul 21 00:13:37 UTC 2023
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 2023-07-20 04:36, Itamar Reis Peixoto wrote:

> my predict is that they will continue as a #rebuilder / #freeloader,
> writing software is a hard work.
> #offensive terms to the community :-), hide hat wrote it.

No, they didn't.

That term was bandied about on social media by people who were
speculating about the reasoning behind discontinuing the practice of
debranding and publishing packages from RHEL minor releases.

Mike McGrath responded to the use of that term by social media
personalities to explain that the only group that Red Hat (for better or
worse) considers freeloaders are large businesses who keep a small
number of licensed RHEL systems so that when they have problems in their
production network (which isn't running RHEL), they can reproduce the
problem on RHEL and ask Red Hat for support.  That practice is dishonest
and abusive.

If you're not doing that specific thing, then Red Hat is not calling you
a freeloader.