[CentOS] Current RHEL fragmentation landscape

Fri Jul 21 15:38:21 UTC 2023
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

On 7/21/2023 1:57 AM, Ian B wrote:
> We just have 5 servers, and don't want any personal support. We'd be fine
> to pay what we'd consider a reasonable fee I think. I contacted Redhat to
> ask about their licensing and if we could fit somehow into it (i.e the
> personal support & 16 machine type license), but they could never give us a
> straight answer, so the implication was we couldn't be certain we weren't
> breaking any t&cs. I also thought maybe they'd make an offer or something,
> but never did. The costs are just too high for some people for what they
> are offering.

I have about the same number of CentOS 7 servers and have never felt the
need to call RH for help. At most, I'd check online for a solution and
find it's maybe behind RH's paywall. If anything, I work the problem on
my own (maybe using a specific package's own support list) and supply
the fix to Bugzilla (as well as upstream). Now I'm feeling reluctant to
do that.