[CentOS] Current RHEL fragmentation landscape

Mon Jul 24 20:47:27 UTC 2023
frank saporito <frank.saporito.md at gmail.com>

On 7/24/23 10:12, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 2023-07-22 09:55, frank saporito wrote:
>> On 7/22/23 02:29, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>>> From my point of view, Red Hat doesn't really sell software. They
>>> give away software.  All of their software is available at no
>>> charge, typically in an unbranded release.  What Red Hat sells is
>>> support.
>>
>> Does Red Hat give away software anymore?
>

> Yes?  I'm not aware of any Red Hat software that isn't Free Software.
>

>> I am confused.  Last month Red Hat announced that the source code
>> would not be published.
>

> That's not what they announced.  The major-release branch of RHEL's
> source code is still published to the CentOS Stream git repos.
>
> I think it's important to point out that Red Hat never published *all*
> of RHEL's package source code.  For the first six months of any
> release of RHEL, they would publish de-branded source by essentially
> taking one artifact from each build (the src.rpm), unpacking that in a
> git repository, removing the primary source code archive, debranding
> what was left, committing all of that, and then pushing the result.
> It was basically git as a fancy FTP.
>
> They've stopped doing that, in favor of publishing the major-release
> branch of the git repos for the entire primary support lifecycle of
> the major release.
>

>> The spirit of GPL was meant to force sharing and prevent the
>> commercialization of the volunteer work of many.
>

> It definitely wasn't.  GPL software can't be made closed-source.
> Customers have to receive the source code (or an offer for it), and
> they have the rights that the license guarantees.  But GPL software
> can definitely be commercialized.

Gordon,

I would like clarification on your recent post. There may be some
nuances in your language that I need help understanding.

Let me know if you disagree with any of these statements:

1. Red Hat is no longer posting source code to git.centos.org. (ref: Red
Hat's June 21, 2023 announcement,
https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/furthering-evolution-centos-stream, and
Hackaday article published June 30, 2023,
https://hackaday.com/2023/06/23/et-tu-red-hat/)

2. Red Hat will release source code to partners and customers via the
Red Hat Customer Portal. (ref: Red Hat announcement)

3. Per Red Hat EULA, customers can not freely distribute the source
code. (ref: Red Hat EULA)

4. Red Hat's policy decision has made it difficult (maybe impossible)
for "clone" distributions to continue existing. (ref: Google "red hat
source code")

5. Red Hat's policy change contradicts the GPL's spirit.

The first four statements are facts (at least, I think they are.)  The
fifth question is opinion.

I am not engaging in a heated debate - just trying to gain understanding.

I appreciate your consideration.
frank